Now that Liferea supports remote OPML files (this in version 1.4), I’ve set up my livejournal feeds to automatically come and go based on my friends list. I wrote a little CGI script that transforms the LJ FOAF file into an OPML file (including the authentication that’s needed to read protected LJ entries.
The code’s at http://dinhe.net/~aredridel/projects/ruby/ljfoaf-to-opml/ (GIT repository), if anyone wants to adapt it. It’s obviously not secure, but it should work in a pinch.
I also discovered that there were about 150 journals that I wasn’t reading because my manual process managed not to add them. I’ll be keeping up with people better now. Sorry about that, folks.